Curly~n~Natural

Curly~n~Natural

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Homemade Leave-In Conditioner/Daily Moisturizer


Happy Wednesday everyone,

I hope everyone is enjoying their week! My week has been going well. I'm exhausted considering I have a newborn at home, but that come with the territory. Anyway today I am gonna share with you how I make my Homemade Leave-In Conditioner/Daily Moisturizer.

I was paying $13.97 plus tax for Bee Mine Juicy Daily Moisturizing Spritz. I would have to buy two, one for me and one for my daughter. That is just too expensive! I always wanted to make my own, but i never took the time to put research any ingredients that would work together and compliment each other. So last night I finally concocted my own.

First you need a spray bottle that can hold at least 2cups of liquid. And here are the rest of the ingredients.........

>1 cup purified water
>1/2 cup Aloe Juice- a natural conditioner, great for hair loss, great for dry and itchy scalps.
>1Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)- provides natural nutrition, great for adding shine, great anti-dandruff benefit, the oils and proteins in coconut oil work well to help keep hair from losing protein, which is one of the major contributors to hair breakage and hair loss
>Water from 1 can of Coconut Milk (Do Not shake can)-great for rehydrating hair, Contains organic compounds possessing growth promoting properties
>10 small squirts of Lime Juice- removes hair odors, naturally cleanses the hair and scalp, prevents dandruff
>5 vitamin E Capsules- promotes growth, decreases sun damage, It contains valuable antioxidants that help to keep the immune system up and improves circulation to all parts of the body, including the scalp.
>2Tbsp Vegetable Glycerin- It has strong humectant properties, meaning it is able to retain moisture, great for dry flaky scalps
>20drps Tea Tree Essential Oil- one of the most versatile essential oils for hair growth when it comes to hair treatments. This oil moisturizes the hair and minimizes oil production of the scalp, preventing greasy looking hair and leaving the scalp clean and dandruff-free. A few drops of tea tree oil can be added to olive oil for a mild but effective weekly treatment to deal with dandruff problems.
>20drps Thyme Essential Oil- promotes healthy scalps, gives a natural shine, prevents hair loss

Now I concocted this formula to fit my hair type and scalp. I took a look at my hair and scalp and came up with a list of things that I fight against, such as dryness and dandruff. And then came up with a list of ingredients that will help me continue to fight against these hair enemies. Please do your research before experimenting with essential oils. You could read my blog "Essential and Carrier Oils" as a start. Maybe next time I will add some Peppermint Oil. This Spritz will now take the place of the Bee Mine spray, and I will me using it daily and as a bedtime moisturizing treatment. I expect this spritz to stimulate my scalp and strengthen my tresses, leaving my hair soft, manageable and smooth, with a natural shine. I will be sure to keep you updated.
Thanks for your support! God Bless you and yours!

35 comments:

  1. yes it does wonders for my hair and my scalp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the recipe. I have issues with dandruff so I can't wait to try it. In trying other leave-ins I notice that it takes the curl out of my hair when I wear a roller set. How do you apply your leave-in. Do you spray into the hair or into the hand and put onto your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your site. One question please, how do you preserve your leave in conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I love Jesus too, I also sing, write, photography (nature is my subject), arts and crafts. It is noce too meet others who love Jesus sincerely!

    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea Tree oil is actually a great preservative. so once i make it it usually stays good until i use it all. but i find my self making it about every two weeks because i use it on my and my daughter's hair everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good information. It's very useful for me
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I saw your site. I must say. I know that God is pleased with what you do. This recipe is the best I've seen since I have been looking for how to make a leave in at home. I am using Indian shampoo and conditioner and oil. I am mixed with Indian, White, and Black so I need a leave in. I am getting braids to push more hair growth. This recipe will be a big part of my hair routine now. Thank you so much. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this serves as a leave-in conditioner? Also, what condition is your scalp in? I am trying to determine if this would work well for my hair-which is chemically treated, dry hair and scalp, dandruff, thinning edges, and a lot of build-up....? Also, there's water in coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What brand is the Aloe Juice conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lime Juice is probably preserving this mixture as well. I am a chef and I love making homemade concoctions for everything! I have been natural for about 2 1/2 years but I have been a heat and ponytail addict. Now that I have turned away from my addictions I am seeking new ways to care for and style my hair.
    Thanks for the post. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this recipe although I did forget the lemon juice I will have to remember it next time...but this is perfect. My whole family enjoys it. My husband loves the tingling sensation from the tea tree. I LOVE this thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant, i have been natural for one year now and i need something for my dry scalp. Great stuff. Asana from London.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow my daughter will love you for this as her daughter's hair soooo needs this and buying is sooo expensive shall pass this on thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im allergic to coconut what can I use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just browsing the web here in the UK looking for homemade recipes for hair conditioners and daily natural hair moisturisers. Thank God I have found a recipe for a natural egg and mayo conditioner, which I have on my hair as I write this :) and also your recipe.

    I have no doubts that your recipe will be brill. I have been natural now for two years, but have been wearing units (wigs) I now want to spend time on my natural hair as I want to take a break from the units I think the inspiration came from watching Chris Rocks DvD Good Hair!

    God bless you and yours and the other readers to have found your post and those yet to discover it in the mighty wonderful beautiful name of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  17. did it help your hair grow at all?

    ReplyDelete
  18. how do you separate the water from the coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could buy plain coconut water! :) That's what I did!

      Delete
  19. Do you put the vitamin e capsules in the bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  20. can i do without the aloe vera? i hate aloe vera

    ReplyDelete
  21. What else can be used in place of the tea tree oil? The smell is too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use any essential oils that you want. They each have a specific thing that they do, or you can choose just for smell. It seems that lavender helps with almost condition. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
    2. rosemary essential oil is very good at dandruff problems

      Delete
  22. I'm all over natural products for hair and after using coconut oil, amla oil, olive oil and pretty much every popular kind of oil I started using ARGAN OIL and what a difference!!! Not greasy, smells really nice and subtle. I use if after my shower and my hair is completely soft and smooth for the rest of the day or until I wash my hair. I especially like Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan oil from beyas.ca because it's also a heat protectant so I can use it before my regular blow dry :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, It's really great, Can't wait to try it! But my hair loves creamier or thicker products, so can anything be added to it to make it more thicker? Please answer, my curls will be really thankful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can probably use shea, cocoa, or mango butter. All are good for your hair, but it may be too thick for a spray :) I know I am late, but hope this helps :)

      Delete
  24. hey! I've made a spray with aloevera gel (got it out of 3 leaves on my own), added the water and tea tree and peppermint essentia oils, added 3 teaspoons of olive oil. what should I get in to get very good moisturizing effect? and to add shine to m hair (I have greasy hair) ? and if I have cocount butter, is it good to melt it and get it in a spray or not? :) thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm extremely allegeric to any tree nuts, what could I use instead of coconut oil and milk?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Does this act similar to OYA leave in condition. My sister has tried everything, including coconut oil, but nothing works long term. Oya seems so far to be the best, but it cost $28 and that is way to much money. She has dry, frizzy, color treated hair.

    ReplyDelete